Thursday, November 20, 2008

Learning Spanish

One of my "Bucket List" items is to learn to speak and/or understand Spanish. Duane had gotten me a Rosetta Stone program several years ago when I went to Guadalajara with him. I used it then a little bit, but put it down after a few weeks.

So, I pulled it back out and am starting the program again. It really is a neat way to learn. It's really meant more to teach you to understand the spoken word, not necessarily to teach you proper grammar or the written word.

So, anytime lately that I've had a spare few moments, I pop in the disc and do a few "lessons".


Here's a screen shot. Basically, the program reads you a statement (written at the top of the screen) and gives you a choice between 4 photos. You pick the photo that goes with the statement. Only one photo per screen matches. You repeat the process over and over and over, hundreds of screens.



For instance, this screen choice would be the top left and means something like "the hands of the man are on top of his knees". I have no idea what the literal translation is - the program doesn't work that way. The next screen might say something like "the man has his hands on his face". We'll see if I make it thru the first disc!!

7 comments:

Just Marianne said...

Yo hablo espanol un poco.............muy poco!

Karen said...

gracias

affectioknit2 said...

Cómo estás - Ahora podemos hablar en español todo el tiempo - qué diversión!!

affectioknit2 said...

Seriously - how is the Rosetta Stone - I've heard they're very good - but expensive.

Karen said...

hey, how did you get the little marks to appear on your words?

yes, i think rosetta stone is probably good for what i want to do. not sure teachers would really approve of the method though. compared to taking a class at the community college - $60 and buying their book - another $60, it doesn't seem too bad.

~ Denise ~ said...

oh, good luck on that one, Karen! I've been wanting to learn French so would be interested to see how you like the content of Rosetta Stone. Keep us posted! ;)

Elizabeth said...

I've heard the Rosetta Stone is the way to go. Good luck, I guess you are going somewhere to use the Spanish? E