Friday, May 15, 2009

Hangar Office Carpet Install!

The office in the hangar at Siler City has carpet that we installed when we built the building in 1997. It was, needless to say, pretty rough. 12 years of mechanics walking in and out to do paperwork with greasy shoes...

Kindof hard to see in this photo, but the carpet was so worn that it was more like a heavy fabric in the "footpath areas".


I had volunteered to do the work if the couple that rents the hangar would remove all the furniture. Yesterday was the day - I told them it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. I'd done this a couple of other times - once at our first house in New Hill and again in the terminal building. BUT, I had always had help....this time I was solo!

I pulled up the old carpet - the foam backing stuck to the floor, so I had to work a couple of hours removing it.....


I took the old, dirty carpet out into the open space in the hangar and used it as a pattern to rough-cut the new carpet....I was in such a tizzy, I forgot to snap a photo of that.

I put the rough-cut carpet in place and did the final cuts with a very sharp carpet knife. Only nicked myself 2 times!

Here I'm slowly working with the glue/trowel, applying glue to a section, the rolling out the carpet out a few feet at a time.




Almost done with the carpet - I'm spraying foam into the cracks in the wall to seal up the room (mice, etc.)

Next I glued the baseboards back in place - 8 hrs later!! Oh well, it was just a few more hours than a "couple"...... Here's Tom the mechanic (you've seen him earlier with his grand baby!!)

5 comments:

Joyce Mineer said...

Now that you're done with that, come on over to my place...hee, hee!!! Oh, and did you have Tom remove his shoes or at least wipe his feet?

Great job! You are so darned handy!!

Elizabeth said...

Good Job ! ! ! And who put the molding up? E

Karen said...

i did, of course!!

Just Marianne said...

You're just a busy little beaver!

affectioknit said...

NICE!!! I've said before that all home improvement jobs take AT LEAST twice as long as you planned - haha...

You did a SUPER JOB!!!

Love,

T