Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sprouts, sprouts

I know, I know, it's a boring day when all you have to talk about is your food.....cloudy and quiet at the airport -

You may know that we're on this bean / anything green diet. Have been for months now (with a few lapses while on vacations, etc.) Very healthy and keeps you full all the time - painless weigh loss for sure once you get in the swing of no fat, no sugar, no bread at all.

I'm always looking for interesting ways to fix a bean!! Sprouting is the logical thing to do - I started with Mung Beans - they are the easiest to sprout. They don't ferment easy or otherwise "misbehave".

This past week, I've tried to branch out and sprout some soybeans and some lentils.

Here's a shot of the soybeans. They require lots of rinsing (several times a day) to keep them from molding or fermenting.



Here's a shot of the lentils -


I just chopped up a bunch of other fresh veggies out of the fridge and steamed/fried them (no fat, just stirred them in the pan alot). Stirred in some sprouts and steamed for another 10 minutes.




Added ginger, fresh cilantro, soysauce, garlic powder and some frozen peas....this was my entire meal last night. (This is not Duane's idea of a good meal...he opted for the leftover chili made with t.v.p.) Added bonus is that there are leftovers from this for lunch today! Oh - the sprouts were very nice and crisp - the soybean sprouts were a little "nutty" feeling...the lentil sprouts were very mild - nothing like the "mealy" tastes of a stewed lentil. What should I sprout next??

4 comments:

affectioknit said...

Amazing beans - gotta love 'em...

Love,

T

Elizabeth said...

I have sprouted radishes, alfalfa and broccoli, as well as the lentils, mung bean and soybean. All work well. I'll blog a run in my 4 tiered sprout tray. E

Karen said...

well, aren't you ahead of the game! looking forward to hearing which ones you liked.

love and expecting sprout salads in a couple of weeks!! k

Elizabeth said...

I have a new batch going now. Should be ready by then. MOM