Sunday, October 04, 2009

Gardneing Weekend

We worked the entire weekend on flower beds!

We've got a few rock-lined flower beds that have been ignored for the past few years. They've got lots of perennial flowers and bulbs, so alot of attention is not required.

But, they've started to look a little under the weather.....sorry for all the shadows - seems like I only had my camera with me early and late in the day.

Here's the "before" photos of a couple of beds.






The impetus for all this gardening is actually a load of mulch.... this wonderful pile of fibrous material was delivered Friday night by one of our poker-buddies. He just drove his dump truck to the poker game! (He runs a home/landscaping company....Mom has some strawberry planters from his store.)




We dug up the beds and removed all the plants. Then we decided that we needed a little more dirt. Lucky us, Duane knew where there was some topsoil piled near the runway....so, he just fired up the front-end loader and got me some!




Here's the first bed all ready for re-planting.



And here it is after I've planted various blubs/plants. It looks kindof bare - but there's lots of bulbs down there that will be really pretty come this spring! I have no idea why this is underlined!!



And here it is after the mulch was put down. This is pretty much the end of Saturday!




Sunday, we made a new bed - amazing how many bulbs and plants we dug up from the first bed!!



We had many, many, many Japanese and "Swamp" iris plants/tubers. We decided to have one bed just for them.



I had lots of "Lamb's Ears" left over - so I made a new little bed under our little holly tree.
I'm tired!!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Quite a job. Looks good now, will probably be amazing next spring. MOM

Miranda said...

Awww, it looks great! I suppose I should have said something while I was over this weekend... =)

affectioknit said...

It looks beautiful!!! A lot of hard work too!

Love,

T