Friday, March 26, 2010

Pittsboro Courthouse, a sad day!

The courthouse in Pittsboro was the center of the town - anyone who has driven thru knows that the building sits on a little patch of ground in the middle of a "round-about". It was actually the first one that I ever recall driving around. Back in the day before I-40 was complete to Raleigh, Duane and I always drove down the old-2 lane Highway 64 from Mocksville all the way back to NC State. We knew we were getting close to Raleigh when we made it thru the round-about...

Here is the view this morning- all kinds of policemen preventing you from getting close to the courthouse. It's still smoldering.


I went out to my old photos and found this one of the kids in the band. It shows the courthouse in the background.


This is what it looks like now. I'm sure it will have to be bull-dozed.....the town is shell-shocked.

5 comments:

affectioknit said...

Oh NO! I remember it oh so well too! That is so sad...

Love,

T

affectioknit said...

PS - I wathced the News 11 coverage of it on the web...

Elizabeth said...

We saw that on the news last last . Such a shame. It had scaffolding up when we were through there a couple of weeks ago and we commented on the renovations. Maybe they will rebuild an exact replica. MOM

Elizabeth said...

Of course I meant last NIGHT. I must proof read. MOM

Karen said...

yeah - bad, isn't it? i think they're already planning on rebuilding it right there. i hope that contractor has good insurance!! (i'm sure they do, if they're like most gov't contracts/bids). gonna be a chilly weekend - maybe the last one this spring!

love, k