Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Wheatberry Salad

I had these Wheatberries in the cabinet - had never managed to be in the mood to cook them....just got the inspiration, I guess...

In case you're not familiar, Wheatberries are just the entire wheat kernel - just not the husk. They're really hard and require about an hour to cook.


A loosely written "recipe" I found for a Wheatberry Salad called for chopped veggies, balsamic vinegar, cumin and olive oil. So, I chopped up all the fresh veggies I found in the fridge - broccoli, carrots, sweet onions, celery, and some cilantro.


Then I cooked some frozen onion/pepper mix with some olive oil until they were just brown.


The wheatberries are pretty and reddish while they're boiling in some saltwater. The recipe did not say to do this, but after the wheatberries were done, I tossed in the fresh veggies just long enough to soften them.


I drained the above, tossed with balsamic vinegar and cumin - put in the fridge to let the flavors absorb. I really liked the crunchy nutty grains and the flavor.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Very healthy and looks tasty too. We'll shop the health food stores while company is here and try some of that. MOM

affectioknit said...

YUM - I like wheatberries as a sweet breakfast cereal - I've never had it like this - but I've had a tabouleh made with them...

Love,

T