Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hedge Trimming

The shrubs at Siler City Airport have gotten a bit out of hand. The City planted them several years ago - the building was very bare, no landscaping at all. But, we don't have a professional staff or anything for maintenance. Over the years, the bushes have grown.....to start with, it was just nice - they looked nice and "mature". But lately, they've just kind of taken over.

Hard to see in this shot because it's in a bit of a shadow, but the boxwoods are a bit "wild".




I brought Duane's electric hedge-trimmer to the airport. Now, I must admit, I've never operated this equipment before. We have "pink jobs" and "blue jobs" by some unspoken rule at home. I do the laundry, the dishes, the groceries.....Duane does the oil changes, anything requiring heavy lifting or working on ladders, and hedge trimming!

But, never the stranger to a challenge, I started the sucker up - and went to hacking! It was fun - for about 3 minutes. Then it was just work!

Here's the front of the building - much smaller cute little bushes. They actually looked cared-for now.




Side building "before" shot.


And after....




Ramp side "before" ....




And "after".....amazing what small, little balls are underneath all that wild growth.



I went to Asheboro during the afternoon. I had some time and decided that I should try to attack a huge bush that has been bothering me for a couple of years. The flag pole is actually sortof inaccessible - you can see it embedded in the right hand side of the bush.



This didn't turn out as pretty - but I'm convinced the bush will grow back in pretty and shaped....hey, at least we can change the flags easily now!!! And the price was right!

3 comments:

affectioknit said...

GeeeOrgeeeous! YOu did a good job!

Love,

T

Elizabeth said...

Quite a job!. Most bushes of that type will fill back in shapely. Hope yours do. MOM

Joyce Mineer said...

Don't we always feel better after a good hair cut?? I'm guessing...since I never cut my hair...as if you couldn't tell...it's cause I'm lazy...there I said it...I'll be quiet now.