Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Apparently, I don't get to "Make a Difference"!

It had been a while since I had donated blood to the Red Cross. I had gone to a "mobile" blood drive a year or so ago, only to be told it was a 1 1/2 hour wait. So, when the nice Red Cross lady called asking me to schedule an appointment a month or so ago, I thought that sounded like a good idea. So, at 10AM sharp this morning, I signed in, read all the documents they require....got my sticker and was shuttled to the next station.


Got my blood pressure, temp, etc. documented....and the worst part of the whole thing for me - the dreaded finger stick to test for iron deficiency!




The next stage is to answer all kinds of questions to determine if you've been exposed to AIDS or the mad-cow disease.  I, of course, pass those with exceptional ease!  The last questions were about your recent travels.  In the past 12 months I have been out of the country 3 times - the Bahamas, Taiwan, and the Turks and Caicos.  Guess which one disqualifies me??? 


The one I wouldn't expect - the Bahamas!  Actually, it's because we visited the Exumas - they are a malaria risk.  Most of the other Bahama islands are not on the "no-donate" list.  I can't give blood for a year!  Who woulda' thunk it????



1 comment:

affectioknit said...

wow!...I wudnathunk...

...be careful out there though...

Love,

T