Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Casserole Cover!

I'm finally getting around to posting about this....I had to wait until after the book club party!!

First, I have to give credit to Christina at "2littlehooligans" for the wonderful  tutorial

Our book club does a "Bad Santa" gift exchange every year in mid-December.  We're not supposed to spend much on the gift, just something fun that might be "stolen".

I got this idea to make a casserole cover as my gift.  Surely someone in the group would need one!

First, I had to find the correct cloth.  The local stores didn't have what I was looking for, so I turned to
 Etsy.com and found just the right pattern.....Books!!



Here's the "short version of the assembly"......at the end, I'll put the "longer version" if you're interested in the actual construction.




Basically, you just sew rectangles together filled with batting to insulate the casserole dish and make the handles.


Almost done....


I can't believe I didn't snap a "finished photo" with the dish actually in this one.  Read to the end to see a finished product...



So fast forward to Carolyn Boyd's house for the book club Christmas party.  The eleven ladies' presents were all lined up for the Bad Santa exchange.  Mine is in the bulldog bag.




And it was a hit!!  It got "stolen" two times - and Diane ended up with it!  (we have a two-time-stealing rule - after a gift is stolen two times, the third gal gets to keep it!)



So - here is a longer version - certainly go to the 2littlehooligans blog link above if you want to make one - her directions are wonderful!  I did a few short-cuts, just 'cause that's the way I roll, haha.

I cut out the patterns using old aviation charts.  Cut the cloth and the batting.  Note, this is not the "book" one, but another one I made out of different cloth for my sis!


Ready, set, sew a bunch of straight lines!!


Nothing has to be too precise - you're going to trim off the edges anyway.




See - all trimmed and ready to be turned right-side-out!



Second piece almost finished.





Turned right-side-out and top-stitched.




Lining everything up to sew the pieces together.



All the pieces ready to attach.


Kindof a tedious process to get them all in the right places!





Basically top-stitch the handles onto one of the rectangles.  Add velcro strips at the edges of the rectangles to hold the cover closed.


Add a little velcro'd tab to hold  a serving utensil.


And there you have it!



All ready for a casserole and church social!





Tah - dah!!!




2 comments:

affectioknit said...

I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE my casserole cover...I'm going to use it tomorrow to carry my 7 layer taco dip to Church for Fellowship...

Thanks so much!

Love,

T

Elizabeth said...

That is a neat pattern and the "book" cover was fitting for the book club.
I like the loop for the utensil. Love, MOM