Saturday, August 16, 2014

Small batch of apple butter

I am the lucky recipient of more apples!! What to do, what to do.....apple butter, of course!




Lindy loaned me her apple peeler gizmo.  What fun!!!  And FAST!!



About 5 seconds and you've peeled, cored and sliced the apple!



Cool!




All sliced and set to boil in a bit of water.  This whole pot took less than 5 minutes!





Just thought I'd show the "work area"  haha.   Good fun!




Just cooked to mushy...



And put thru my trusty food mill to make a nice applesauce.




Into a big oven-safe pot - mixed in the spices - cloves, cinnamon, allspice and some nutmeg just because I like it!



Into the oven at 350 degrees for about 3 hours.  Pulled out to stir every time I remembered (about 4 times)



Stirred in about 4 cups of sugar.  Put back in the oven for another hour or so until it was the thickness I wanted.



Same process as the jelly - spooned into sterile jars and did a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. 



This is really, really good.....



No comments: